Consistently developing great blog post ideas can be one of the most important tasks you will do as a blogger.
One way to develop your blog post ideas is to consider the goal you want to reach with your post. This method is explained in detail in the article The Ultimate List of Blog Post Ideas [2nd Edition], as published on Digitalmarketer.com. You can even get a PDF download to help you develop your posts.
This article from Digitalmarketer.com is an excellent resource and I highly recommend that you spend some time reviewing the information if you are serious about blogging.
Another method to develop amazing blog post ideas is to brainstorm about the types of articles you want to post to provide the best overall experience for your readers. This method will be the basis for the remainder of this article.
Of course, the industry you are publishing in will make a great difference when you are developing your posts. I will be focusing on examples related to the Network Marketing industry.
- How-To Posts. This type of post will teach your audience how to do something…
- You might not know it, but I bet if you think a little, you will realize that you have mastered multiple disciplines related to your industry. Think hard and just make a simple list of things you are good at. You don’t have to be an expert, just better than average, which puts you in the category of having something that less than half of your colleagues possess. Once you have your list completed pick one of the ideas and go with it. Do a little research, add your personal experience and flair and you have the makings of a great blog article. 6 Steps to Monetize an Affiliate Marketing Blog is a good example of a How-To Post.
- Reference Posts. This type of post will provide your audience with how to find valuable tools or information…
- To get started, think of some of the problems you face in your industry and how you have been able to overcome them. Start by making a list of the problems you have faced. Then, next to each one list the resource or resources you used to overcome the problem. In your article, describe the problem and then provide a solution for your readers by referencing your ideas to one or more external sites that address the issue. For example my friend Carla Moody Rogers explains how she overcame the problem of time management by using automation in her business. In her article, Income Producing Activities Part 2, Carla provides references to several tools that she uses to automate her business.
- List Posts. This type of post is exactly like it sounds, you provide your readers with a list of items…
- You will find this type in just about every article about blog post ideas. Because it is such a popular type of post I think it’s worth mentioning here. You can make a list from just about anything, so start by writing down some things in your industry that you can use to create a list. For example in Network Marketing I might list and describe: tracking tools, email marketing sites, paid traffic sites, social media marketing strategies, etc. Once you put your list together, just start writing. An example of a list post would be Simple Business Ideas for the Network Marketer, where I list several types of businesses you can operate in the industry.
- Opinion Posts. This type of post is simply giving your opinion on a topic…
- Opinion posts definitely have their pros and cons. On the one hand they are easy to write since you are merely giving your opinion. On the other, they can be a bit dangerous. If your opinion is too far to one extreme or the other you risk alienating your readers. A good place to develop your ideas is by determining what topics are popular in your industry on social media. Just write down the topic and make a list of things that best describe your position on the topic. In your article explain your position and why you think that way. Voila, you have another great article to publish. An example of an opinion post is Are You a Robot?
- General Education Posts. These are a bit different from How-To posts as they provide a broader lesson related to your industry…
- To get started, make a list of things you have learned in relation to your industry. Next to each item write down the things that helped you grow in each area. Now you have the basis for your post. Sometimes this type of post can be very subjective and other times quite factual. If you are planning on teaching something make sure you have a strong basis for the information you intend to provide. A nice example of a general education post would be Your Web of Awesomeness, by my good friend Kylie Buckley.
Truth be told, these types of blog post ideas really just scratch the surface, but hopefully will help you get off to a great start.
Your blog should be a mix of the different types of posts, and remember that as you begin to develop each type you should be making a list of topics for each. You can constantly refer back to that list for fresh ideas every time you write.
To Your Success,