Before you are ready for Blog Visitors, there are a few things we need to do.
1&1 WP Wizard
Log back into 1&1 and go into your WordPress app. Once you are logged into WordPress, click the “1&1 WP Wizard” from the menu on the left hand side of the screen. To start the wizard select “Configure Website.”
On the next screen, you will select your theme. There are many to choose from and you can change your mind later, so try to find a theme that appeals to your business type and personality.
Important: by the time you publish your first blog post you should settle on the theme you want to use permanently.
After your theme selection, you will also be asked to select the plugins you want to use. For now, just accept the plugins recommended by the wizard.
Customizing Your Theme
You’re blog visitors want a theme that is attractive and easy to navigate. From the dashboard, select “Appearance” and “Customize.” It is important to remember that the customization options vary by theme. I will be describing the ones based on my theme which is “Kokoro.”
- Click “Site Identity” to add your logo and edit your site title and tagline. With the Kokoro theme, the logo is actually the picture that will show at the top of all your posts and pages. For my blog it is the image shown below…
- Skip Colors and Background Image for now
- Click on “Menus” to adjust the placement of your menus. For the Main Menu, check “Primary” and “Automatically add new top-level pages to this menu.” For Social Links click “Top Menu.”
- Next go to “Static Front Page” and select “Your Latest Posts.”
- Finally, go to “Theme Options” and select “Social Media Settings.” Here you will complete all of your profiles for the various social media sites listed. These will be used in your Social Links menu so your blog visitors can easily find you on social media.
When you are done making changes make sure to hit the “Save & Publish” button near the top left of your screen.
Editing the Sidebar
Once again, go to the customize option as illustrated above and click the menu option on the left side titled “Widgets.”
Select “Sidebar” and remove all widgets except for “Search.” You can do this by clicking the small arrow next to the widget and hitting “Remove.” Next, Click the button that says “+ Add a Widget.”
Select the widget titled “Image” to add an advertisement picture (with a link) to your sidebar. Here are the steps:
- Go to your affiliate site or MLM and get a shareable image
- Copy and paste the Image URL from your affiliate site
- Copy and paste your referral link from your affiliate site
If you do not have an affiliate program or MLM that you are promoting you can place a picture of your product on the sidebar without a link.
Hit “Save and Publish” on the top left of your screen.
Make sure all of your links are working properly before moving on.
To Your Success,
See also Getting Website Traffic to Your Blog